We all love those moments in ministry when everything seems to be clicking. The team is rocking, the place is growing, the numbers are climbing, and the morale is as high as its every been. It's what many leaders call "The Big MO" - a.k.a. MOMENTUM!
Momentum in ministry should NEVER be taken for granted. You never know how long it will last. You want to make the most of it and capitalize on it. If you aren't careful, you might lose it. Here's a quick hit list of some of the biggest MOMENTUM KILLERS.
1) PRIDE - There is nothing worse than you starting to believe that the reason for the momentum is YOU. Although it's true great momentum can happen when a team is being led by a strong leader, there is not a single leader alive who can bring about momentum for an organization ALONE! Give God the praise! Give your team the credit!
2) CONFLICT AMONG TEAM MEMBERS - With momentum comes growth. When an organization grows, it's systems can become stressed and strained as they are pushed to new limits. This tension can sometimes lead to conflict. Remember to keep the finger on the pulse of your leaders. When you sense tension or conflict, remember to resolve it biblically (Matthew 18:15-17). Do not allow feelings to fester.
3) LAZINESS - Things come easier when you have momentum. It's easy to lay back and let the momentum do the work. We all have a tendency when things are going great to spend a little less time in planning, vision casting, and organization. Don't let it happen! It will bust your momentum!
4) SIN IN THE CAMP - Momentum brings growth. Growth brings more work. Things get busy and it is easy for our personal prayer and spiritual time to fall to the wayside. When you allow that to happen, you open the door for temptation. Nothing will kill momentum like sin in the lives of the leadership team. Don't wait until you notice the problem - prevent it. Make prayer and The Word a #1 non-negotiable priority in your life.
5) TOO SLOW TO CHANGE/ADAPT - The world around us is changing - rapidly! Children's Ministry today doesn't look much like it did ten years ago. Organizations that don't consistently look ahead and anticipate change (especially in today's rapid culture) will be left behind! If the culture changes LONG before you do, then momentum isn't the only thing you will lose.
Momentum is a wonderful thing. It is a precious gift from God. Don't squander it. Be aware of these momentum busters - and guard it safely!
What about you? Are you aware of other MOMENTUM KILLERS that I didn't list? Please share those in the comments section so that the other readers can benefit!